Luxury northwest Italy tour
Lake Como, Barolo, Portofino tour is a luxury holiday in Piedmont visiting the most coveted gems of northwest Italy.
Between the Alps and the Mediterranean, our northwest Italy tour let you experience a land of richness, with decadent atmospheres and breathtaking views.
Michelin-star dining, boutique wine cellars and organic food purveyors are part our Lake Como, Barolo, Portofino tour where you can indulge in the most refined Italian food and wine.
We include handpicked offbeat experiences where most tourists do not get to go. We build the right balance between the must-see that a luxury northwest Italy tour should not miss and a cultural exchange with locals.
Take in the idyllic vineyard landscape of Piedmont, the blue water of Cinque Terre, the dramatic views of Lake Como as you enjoy a slow-paced northwest Italy tour and bring home memories that will last for a long time.
- small group 6-12 guests only
- 9 days / 3 nights on Lake Como + 3 nights in Barolo area + 2 nights in Portofino area
- Fly in Milan. Fly out from Genoa (or Milan)
- Visit Como, Bellagio, Varenna, the wine region of Barolo and Alba, Recco, Santa Margherita Ligure, Portofino and Cinque Terre
- Charming boutique hotels
- Private boat on lake Como and transportation on a luxury van throughout the tour
- Michelin-star dinner in Piedmont
- Premium wine tastings in boutique wine cellars of Barolo, Nebbiolo, Barbera d’Asti
- Cooking class in a farmhouse and truffle hunting with the dog
- Indulge in freshly-baked focaccia on the Mediterranean coast
- Guided day trip to the Cinque Terre and optional hike through olive and citrus orchards
- Personable, informative and highly-skilled Italian tour guide for the entire tour
Next group departure: May 14th – 22nd 2022
- 3 nights at Hotel La Darsena in Tremezzo (lake front rooms) – arrive May 14th, check out May 17th 2022
- 3 nights at Villa Del Borgo in Canelli (junior suites) – arrive May 17th, check out May 20th 2022
- 2 nights at Hotel Continental in Santa Margherita Ligure (sea view rooms with balcony) – arrive May 20th, check out May 22nd 2022
- A 30% down payment is required in order to confirm the reservation.
- The remaining balance is due 30 days before the tour.
The Customer has the right to withdraw, without providing any reason, under the following conditions:
- within 30 days before the performance of the Tourist Package, without penalty;
- from 29 days*** before the performance of the Tourist Package, by paying a penalty equal to 100% of the price
- ***COVID CLAUSE: From 29 days before the tour, any payment previously sent can be fully refunded only in case of new travel restrictions (quarantine requirements, lockdowns, border closure or else) imposed by local Governments (in Europe or in the Country of origin of Customers) as a consequence of the spread of the COVID19 pandemic. Alternatively, the Customer can ask, in writing, to hold that sum for future travel dates.
Read here the full terms and conditions.
Trip of a lifetime in Northern Italy
Trevor V. – June 2019
“We are a group of four couples who travel together every year and we wanted to visit the Italian lakes and Cinque Terre. I found Marco because my sister traveled with him before and he put together a trip of a lifetime for us. He and his team have been very kind throughout the planning process and the tour itself exceeded our expectations. We loved especially the lunch at Daniele’s farm and the focacia tasting on the way to Portofino. Everything was perfectly planned out, we often left our window open of our hotel room on the lake and stayed there watching the ferry boats pass by. Overall a highly recommended trip!”
Mary Ann B. – May 2019
“The trip was flawless and we were able to experience meals and activities that normally we would not have been able to do on our own. The view from our hotel room on the lake and at the wine resort were spectacular. My least favorite thing was Cinque Terre but probably because it was at the end of the tour.”
Piemonte is beautiful
Wisconsintraveler17 – July 2017
“Piemonte is so beautiful that my pictures don’t do it justice; panoramic views everywhere you go. We spent the better part of a week with Marco in Piemonte and he is an excellent guide. He is extremely knowledgeable about the area and I learned so much from him. In addition to being a wonderful traveling companion (and translator) he is organized, prompt, patient, funny, a true foodie and his English is excellent. He took us to so many out-of-the-way, non-touristy places that we never would have seen otherwise. We visited two picturesque vineyards, complete with wine tasting, we toured a rice farm, we visited several small towns, including Barolo, and took a cooking class at a beautiful organic farm in the countryside. Marco even took us to a local grocery store when we decided we wanted to pick up a few things for a night on our terrace. He planned almost all of our meals and was wonderfully flexible with those of us who were a bit pickier than most. And all with a smile:) I would highly recommend this trip to anyone looking for a unique adventure in Northern Italy and I would more than highly recommend Marco as your guide.”
Meals included: dinner
Your guide will meet you in Milan city center (location to be confirmed) at 2pm. We highly recommend to fly in Milan the day before.
Guests arriving in Milan the day before can book (for an extra fee) a hotel room a few steps away from the iconic Cathedral and benefit of a complimentary tour of the interiors in the morning of day 1.
At 2:00pm, transfer on an air-conditioned van to the city of Como to stretch your legs and celebrate a traditional “aperitivo” during your first introduction to the lake.
Continue driving to your hotel located in the central area of Lake Como. Check-in and enjoy some time off and instantly recharge yourself as you admire the calm water of the lake.
Tonight we toast to your Lake Como, Barolo, Portofino tour with a 3-course meal in a renowned restaurant of the area, where traditional recipes are re-imagined with a modern twist. Wine included!
Meals included: breakfast
Meet at the dock of your hotel the boat captain and your local guide. The private boat ride let you take in views of Lake Como and its hamlets surrounded by lush vegetation.
Your local expert will point some of the villas of artists and celebrities who call home Lake Como.
Our Lake Como, Barolo, Portofino tour let you step in a private garden with century-old trees and visit the interiors of a private villa where the last owner lived until a few decades ago.
Continue by boat to Bellagio where your guide suggests the best options for an al-fresco lunch. Enjoy some free time among stores specialized in leather, silk and jewelry.
Our afternoon continues with either the towns of Varenna or Menaggio, located on the opposite side of the lake.
Enjoy a free evening. For dinner, your guide can recommend different dining options and book a table in your behalf.
Meals included: breakfast and dinner
Today experience Lake Como at your own pace. Maybe you simply prefer to have a late breakfast and stroll around your hotel, enjoying a gelato and people-watching.
Maybe you are an active person who wants to follow our guide on a hike in a trail overlooking the lake.
We can even arrange a full day trip to Switzerland, all the way to St. Moritz, have lunch and ride the Bernina Express, one of the most scenic train rides in the world with views over glaciers!
Our guide is there to assist you.
In any case, tonight a private driver will take you to a winery located on the slopes of the mountain overlooking Lake Como from high above.
Meet the family who runs the winery, sit on their terrace and sip their wines paired with a homemade risotto and other local delicacies.
Meals included: breakfast, light lunch, dinner
Say goodbye to Lake Como as we cross the plains of the Po valley and arrive in the wine region of Piedmont. Our first stop is a winery on the Monferrato hills, near Asti.
We get an introduction to the full-bodied Barbera d’Asti wine and to a rare local grape varietal called Ruchè that gets aged in oak. Enjoy a rustic selection of salami and cheese and crunchy breadsticks, called “grissini”.
This afternoon we take a stroll in the town center of Alba, with its medieval towers and the elegant Cathedral before checking-in at our next hotel.
Let us now introduce you to one of the finest cuisine of Italy in a Michelin-starred restaurant of Piedmont.
Meals included: breakfast
Explore on a comfortable van the most scenic wine routes of the Langhe hills. This is where Nebbiolo grapes are grown to be aged in oak and become Barolo wine.
Our Lake Como, Barolo, Portofino tour today takes you to see this unique landscape of hilltop villages and castles nestled amongst vineyards, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
We visit a boutique wine cellar for a premium tasting of Nebbiolo and Barolo wines coming from different vineyards with contrasting soil facts.
Your guide is on hand for lunch suggestions in one of the villages of the Langhe hills of Piedmont. Then, an optional stroll in the countryside would be the chance to get a closer look to this beautiful countryside.
In the afternoon we meet a second wine maker either set in Barolo or Barbaresco territory for a deeper understanding of how Nebbiolo grapes can perform differently in a matter of few miles.
Dinner on your own.
Meals included: breakfast and lunch
Our Lake Como, Barolo, Portofino tour takes you today offbeat in a rustic farmhouse for a lecture on how to unearth truffles from the rich soil of Piedmont.
Meet a passionate truffle hunter and the friendly dog and learn the secrets of this wise and ancient activity.
Then, step in a kitchen of a local host for a real hands-on cooking class followed by lunch. The experience is focused on a seasonal menu. The cuisine of Piedmont features a rich array of “antipasti”, paper-thin egg noodles called “tajarin”, succulent main courses slowly cooked in wine and tempting desserts.
Enjoy at your own pace the rest of the day and evening.
Meals included: breakfast and light lunch
Drive from the wine region to Liguria. After crossing the Apennine mountains, the bright colors of the Mediterranean will unfold in front of your eyes.
Late morning arrive in the sea-side town of Recco and partake on the most famous focaccia of Italy, for a frugal but tasteful break.
Continue to Santa Margherita a popular beach resort with a long waterfront promenade.
We reach Portofino for some pictures of the famous bay where luxury yachts are anchored and we burn off some calories by walking to the lighthouse. Some climbing of steps is required but paid off by spectacular views over peaceful olive orchards, blooms and the rocky coastline.
Check-in and relax before going out again for your free evening. Our guide can recommend the best seafood restaurant in town.
Meals included: breakfast and dinner
Our last day in northwest Italy is all about Cinque Terre.
Your guide will take care of all logistic details as these villages can only be reached by train or boat, subject to sea conditions. We visit Monterosso and Vernazza and, time permitting, Manarola.
You can join our guide on a hike in the National Park of Cinque Terre through citrus orchards and terraced vineyards overlooking the Mediterranean.
Back to our hotel, we celebrate the end of this Lake Como, Barolo and Portofino tour with a farewell dinner in a traditional restaurant.
Meals included: breakfast
The Lake Como, Barolo, Portofino tour is almost over as your driver escort you to Genoa airport*. Enjoy some extra glimpses of northwest Italy as we say goodbye until next time.
Northwest Italy has so much else to be seen and experienced!
*Extra charge applies for a transfer back to Milan.
Book now your Lake Como, Barolo, Portofino tour
- 3550€ per person, minimum 6 participants (in double occupancy)
- single supplement 560€
For private departures, please fill in the form below or send an email to email@example.com
- 8 nights in double room, breakfast and porterage included
- private 6-8 seats luxury van throughout the tour (as per itinerary)
- transfer from hotel near Portofino to Genoa airport (extra charge applies for a transfer back to Milan)
- tour guide for 9 days (fully-escorted tour and 24h assistance while on tour)
- welcome drink in Como on day 1
- guided tour of a private villa on lake Como
- one-day private boat on the lake
- dinner in a winery overlooking lake Como
- light lunch in a Barbera d’Asti winery
- 2 boutique Barolo wineries tour and tasting of 4-5 wines in each one
- truffle hunting with the dog
- cooking class and lunch with wine included
- 1 Michelin-star dinner with wine included
- 2 traditional dinners in local restaurants with wine included
- focaccia experience (light lunch)
- day trip to Cinque Terre by train
- VAT 22%, bus city permits and parking fees
- Tour Operator limited liability insurance
- Assistance throughout the planning process and travel tips
- Hotel City Tax (between 3 to 5€ per person per night)
- Truffles at meals
- Personal travel insurance
- Airfare to/from Italy
- Transportation cost to meet the group in Milan city center on day 1
- Any other meal, tasting, entrance fee, transfer, personal expense, tips and anything else not mentioned above in the field “The rate includes”. The wine included is the one presented during the meal or wine tasting and it is never unlimited. Any extra is at each guest’s discretion.