Wine tour in northwest Italy
Piedmont Wine Tour Vacation is the ultimate wine and food tour in northwest Italy.
Travel in style from Milan to renowned wineries spread across Piedmont for a complete presentation of the wines of the region.
Stay in charming wine resorts surrounded by vineyards, indulge in the unparalleled cuisine of Piedmont and meet local passionate food purveyors and wine makers.
Our wine tour in northwest Italy is a slow-paced week-long vacation with enough time to take in the beauty of Piedmont and appreciate small yet relevant wine districts, Italian wine appellations, single-vineyard exposures on the Langhe hills and much else.
Wine tours in Piedmont, Italy
Our Piedmont Wine Tour Vacation focuses on iconic wines such as Barolo, Barbaresco and local variations of the Nebbiolo grape, including Gattinara wine.
We visit Asti wine region where Barbera d’Asti, Moscato and Asti spumante are predominant.
Moreover, wine tours in Piedmont include less-known grape varietals such as Dolcetto, Grignolino, Ruchè, Arneis, Favorita, Cortese and Gavi wine.
- 7 days / 1 night in Milan + 5 nights in Alba or surrounding area
- Fly in and out Milan.
- Visit Milan, Gattinara, Alba, Asti, Barolo, Barbaresco, Nizza Monferrato, Gavi
- Charming boutique hotels or luxury accommodation (your choice!)
- 7 premium wine tastings in renowned wine cellars led by the owner or the wine maker in person
- Dinner in a Barolo winery paired with wine tasting
- Truffle hunting with the dog
- Cheese tasting in the cellar of a local cheese refiner
- Personable, informative and highly-skilled Italian tour guide for the entire tour
Choose the accommodation that better fits your expectations.
In Milan: centrally-located hotel (1 night)
In Piedmont (5 nights):
- Boutique accommodation: Villa Beccaris, Corte Gondina and a handpicked collection of country-chic retreats and wine resorts
Better than Tuscany
Sandra W. – September 2019
“We have been to Tuscany and other parts of Italy, but prefer to return to Piedmont every year after this trip. Our guides were upbeat, spoke excellent English, and were great to spend the day with.”
Lived up to the reputation
Kris & Emma – June 2019
“This was our first ever trip to Italy and we chose Piemonte just because we’ve always liked wine from there. It did not disappoint!”
- A 30% down payment is required in order to confirm the reservation.
- The remaining balance is due 30 days before the tour.
The Customer has the right to withdraw, without providing any reason, under the following conditions:
- within 30 days before the performance of the Tourist Package, without penalty;
- from 29 days*** before the performance of the Tourist Package, by paying a penalty equal to 100% of the price
- ***COVID CLAUSE: From 29 days before the tour, any payment previously sent can be fully refunded only in case of new travel restrictions (quarantine requirements, lockdowns, border closure or else) imposed by local Governments (in Europe or in the Country of origin of Customers) as a consequence of the spread of the COVID19 pandemic. Alternatively, the Customer can ask, in writing, to hold that sum for future travel dates.
Read here the full terms and conditions.
Meals included: light dinner
Meet your driver at the airport and transfer to the hotel in the center of Milan, a cosmopolitan and upbeat city.
Our tour guide is waiting for you at the hospitality desk in the hall of the hotel. Get a map, suggestions and tips on what to do in Milan, including dining suggestions.
A private guided tour of Milan and its iconic Cathedral, is available on request for an additional charge.
Tonight follow our tour guide for a first introduction to northwest Italy as you partake on a traditional risotto of Milan, in a well-known osteria.
Meals included: breakfast, light lunch and dinner
After checking out, meet your tour guide and driver in the hall of your hotel.
Depart for the northern part of the Piedmont region, where Nebbiolo grapes are cultivated at the foot of the Alps, near the town of Gattinara.
We visit a first Nebbiolo wine cellar and enjoy a tasting of four wines paired with salami, cheese and other appetizers (this is not a full lunch but enough to hold you over until dinner).
In the early afternoon we drive through the plain of the Po river all the way to the wine region of the Langhe hills. Climb the XII century tower of Barbaresco for a presentation of the hills of Piedmont, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Enjoy a small wine tasting with local appetizers surrounded by a 360° view over the vineyards.
Check-in at the selected hotel.
Tonight we celebrate your Piedmont Wine Tour Vacation with a traditional dinner in a restaurant of the area, with four courses and wine included.
Meals included: breakfast and dinner
Today we explore the Barolo wine region which is located on the Langhe hills. We drive on the most picturesque country roads across the eleven municipalities where Nebbiolo grapes are grown and aged in oak to get the DOCG appellation.
Take a stroll with our tour guide around the impressive medieval fortress of Serralunga d’Alba, then step inside the first Barolo wine cellar of the day. A wine tasting of four premium wines compares Nebbiolo and different types of Barolo aged on large oak barrels.
Follow your tour guide in one of the hilltop towns of the Langhe hills where great lunch options will be suggested.
Our second wine cellar of the day features Barolo wine aged in small toasted French barrels and we focus on different vineyards exposure.
Take some time to relax at your hotel before going out to the town of Alba. Enjoy a stroll along the elegant main street with its iconic medieval towers.
Our presentation of the unparalleled cuisine of Piedmont continues tonight with a dinner where traditional recipes are re-imagined with a modern twist.
Meals included: breakfast and lunch
Our Piedmont Wine Tour Vacation takes you in a real truffle wood where we meet a truffle hunter and its friendly dog. An informative lecture held by the wise hunter explains how these precious fungus are unearth from the rich soil of Piedmont. Depending on the season, we can see the dog in action (white truffles available from end of September to January and black truffles in late spring and summer).
Take a sit in a rustic but authentic farmhouse where a homemade lunch is served and features organic vegetables and truffles (if seasonal).
After this offbeat experience, this afternoon we step in the majestic underground wine cellars of one of the most prestigious producers of Italian sparkling wine and Asti Spumante. The fascinating tour ends with a tasting of three sparkling wines, breadsticks, salami and cheese bites.
Enjoy an evening on your own, as your tour guide is happy to provide help with reservations.
Meals included: breakfast and dinner
After breakfast, depart for the town of Gavi, set at the foot of the Apennine mountains, on the way to Genoa. This territory is peculiar to a white grape varietal, called Cortese, which gives origin to the Gavi wine.
We stretch our legs around the medieval fortress before reaching one of the most well-known wineries of the area. Walk in the vineyards and learn how the delicate grape is gently transformed in this fruity and mineral wine.
Lunch is served at the winery surrounded by quiet vineyards.
An optional stop for some shopping at the largest fashion outlet of Italy can be added in the afternoon, before returning to the hotel. Dinner on your own.
Meals included: breakfast, light lunch and dinner
Today we explore in depth the province of Asti, a land of richness where mass-tourism has not affected yet the typical Italian slow-paced lifestyle.
Start off with a guided tour of the medieval town of Asti, once a powerful and independent city-state. The walking tour includes the covered food market for an introduction to local produce and we take a look to the highly decorated Cathedral, the largest Gothic church of the region.
Board our van and transfer to a nearby farmhouse where an expert cheese refiner ages cheese in his cozy cellar. Indulge in a convivial tasting of four types of cheese with jams, bread, wine as we listen to the passionate master.
Our next stop is a producer of the full-bodied, red Barbera d’Asti wine that is on the increase as far as appreciation by international wine enthusiasts. Our wine tasting includes Barbera d’Asti aged in oak, as well as other local grape varietal like Ruché, Favorita, Dolcetto, Grignolino.
Tonight, our Farewell dinner takes place in a prominent Barolo wine cellar. After a tour of their ancient aging room sit at the table for a fine-dining experience paired with four wines and toast to the end of the wine tour in northwest Italy.
Meals included: breakfast
As you say goodbye to the rolling hills of Piedmont, our driver takes you back to Milan airport (flights should not be booked before 12pm to avoid a very early departure from the hotel).
We say arrivederci until the next opportunity to explore together more of Piedmont and northwest Italy.
This is a custom tour. How many people in your group?
Get an accurate quote for a private tour, just for your party. Fill in the form below or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 6 nights in double room, breakfast and porterage included
- private transportation throughout the tour (as per itinerary)
- 1 transfer to/from Milan Malpensa airport (or Linate)
- tour guide for 7 days (fully-escorted tour and 24h assistance while on tour)
- light dinner in Milan
- guided tours of Alba and Asti
- Nebbiolo wine tasting near Gattinara with food (light lunch)
- Small wine tasting on a medieval tower in Barbaresco
- 2 boutique Barolo wineries and tasting of 4-5 wines in each one
- truffle hunting with the dog
- lunch in a truffle farm with wine included (truffles if seasonal)
- sparkling wine tasting and tour of the underground cellar
- Gavi winery tour and lunch
- Barbera d’Asti winery tour and tasting (including Ruché, Favorita, Grignolino)
- Cheese tasting with the cheese refiner
- 2 traditional dinners in local restaurants with wine included
- farewell fine-dining in a Barolo winery
- VAT 22%, hotel city tax, city permits and parking fees
- Tour Operator limited liability insurance
- Assistance throughout the planning process and travel tips
- Hotel City Tax (from 3 to 5€ per person per night)
- Truffles found during the hunt (if any)
- Personal travel insurance
- Airfare to/from Milan
- Any other meal, tasting, entrance fee, transfer, personal expense, tips and anything else not mentioned above in the field “The rate includes”. The wine included is the one presented during the meal or wine tasting and it is never unlimited. Any extra is at your own discretion.