Lake Como, PIEDMONT & Portofino Tour
Small-Group Tour To Northwest Italy
Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino Tour is a 9-day small-group vacation to northwest Italy featuring boutique hotels and affordable luxury experiences.
Explore the stunning Lake Como with a private boat, indulge in the world-renowned Barolo wine region, and soak up the seaside atmosphere of Portofino’s bay from your sea view room.
With visits to Bellagio, Alba, Cinque Terre, and Santa Margherita Ligure, we travel in style on a land of richness that spans from the Alps to the Mediterranean in a slow-paced tour of Italy, limited to 12 guests only.
From the best focaccia of the Italian Riviera to the aging cellar of a passionate cheese refiner, and with a memorable dinner in a Michelin-star restaurant in Piedmont‘s idyllic vineyards, we make sure to showcase one of the most refined cuisines of Italy.
Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino Tour is a vacation filled with long-lasting memories of an unexpected Italy.
This is our second tour with Marco and he has made both trips (the other trip was to the Amalfi coast) an amazing experience. Many ”wow locations” and off-the-beaten-path destinations took us away from the “touristy” spots and connected us with the real people and culture of the Italian regions. His groups are small (we had 6 people) and in both tours, we made amazing friends along the way.
Tom L. – May 2022
Read all reviews on Tripadvisor and on Google
Private boat on lake Como for a day
A memorable Michelin-star dinner in Piedmont
Premium wine tastings of Barolo, Nebbiolo, Barbera d’Asti
Cheese tasting with the cheese refiner
Hands-on cooking class in an organic farm
Truffle hunting in the woods with the dog
Bakeries tour on the Italian Riviera and tasting of focaccia
Day trip to Cinque Terre
9 days | 8 nights
From / To Milan (see below flight information)
Group size: 6-12 guests
on Lake Como
Boutique hotel with a handful of lake-view rooms. Watch boats passing by and relax in one of the few hotels built directly on the water of Lake Como.
Take in the decadent atmospheres of Piedmont’s vineyard-clad hills from well-appointed rooms with ancient wooden floors and exquisite details.
on the Riviera
Luxury old-world hotel with sea-view rooms overlooking the bay of Santa Margherita Ligure and Portofino. Let’s splurge for the final chapter of the trip!
September 6th — 14th : SOLD OUT
October 14th — 22nd : SOLD OUT
May 25th — June 2nd : SOLD OUT
September 14th — 22nd : OPEN
• 4275€ per person, double occupancy
• HOLIDAY SAVINGS: 250€ off per person, valid until November 30th 2023 (4025€ per person in double occupancy)
• Single supplement on request
Day 1 – Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino Tour begins in Milan
Meals included: dinner
The tour begins at 2pm with our guide on a rooftop in Milan city center for a toast with a traditional “aperitivo” and a first introduction to the tour. We encourage to arrive in Milan the day before (see above the details of the Milan extension with hotel, airport transfer and tour of the Cathedral).
Later, we transfer on an air-conditioned van to the hotel located in the central area of Lake Como. Check-in and enjoy some time off recharging yourself as you admire the calm water of the lake.
Tonight we toast to our Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino tour with a 3-course dinner in a renowned restaurant of the area, where traditional recipes are re-imagined with a modern twist. Wine included!
Day 2 – Villa Balbianello, Bellagio, Varenna
Meals included: breakfast
We meet at the dock of the hotel the boat captain and our local expert. A private boat ride is an affordable luxury treat to take in views from the water of Lake Como and its hamlets surrounded by lush vegetation.
Your local expert will point some of the villas of artists and celebrities who have been calling home Lake Como for centuries.
Our Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino Tour includes the tour of the famous Villa Balbianello, with its perfectly manicured garden, the original furniture and the art collection of the rooms overlooking the calm water of the lake.
We continue by boat to Bellagio where your guide suggests the best options for an al-fresco lunch. Enjoy some free time among stores specialized in leather, silk and jewelry.
In the afternoon we get to the town of Varenna for a picture of its peculiar flights of steps descending toward the lake, before returning to the hotel.
Enjoy a free evening. For dinner, our guide can recommend different dining options and book a table in your behalf.
Day 3 – Exploring Lake Como at your own pace
Meals included: breakfast, dinner
Today you can experience Lake Como at your own pace. Maybe you simply prefer to have a late breakfast and stroll around your hotel, enjoying a gelato and people-watching.
Maybe you want to follow our guide on a hiking trail overlooking the lake or board a high-speed hydrofoil to the city of Como for some shopping in the elegant city center.
We can even arrange a full day trip to Switzerland, all the way to St. Moritz, have lunch and ride the Bernina Express, one of the most scenic train rides in the world with views over glaciers!
Our guide is there to assist you.
In any case, tonight we can admire the lake from a higher perspective as we partake on a dinner in a traditional restaurant located on the slopes of the mountain overlooking Lake Como.
Day 4 – The cheese refiner experience in Piedmont
Meals included: breakfast, light lunch, dinner
Say goodbye to Lake Como as we cross the plains of the Po valley and arrive in the wine region of Piedmont. Our first stop is on the Monferrato hills, near Asti.
We step inside the cellar of a cheese refiner for a fascinating narration of this rare craft that elevate the quality of cheese. This is not a dairy farm tour but a unique experience followed by a tasting of 12 types of cheese paired with jams, honey, wine and a seasonal course. Learn more about the cheese refiner and his craft.
This afternoon check in at the next luxury boutique hotel set on the hills of Piedmont covered with idyllic vineyards and relax before heading out again for a special treat.
Tonight we introduce you to one of the finest cuisine of Italy in a Michelin-starred restaurant of the region where new food pairings and flavors will stimulate your senses.
Day 5 – The Barolo Wine Region
Meals included: breakfast
We explore on a comfortable van the most scenic wine routes of the Langhe hills. This is where Nebbiolo grapes are grown to be aged in oak and become Barolo wine.
Our Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino Tour today takes you to see this unique landscape of hilltop villages and castles nestled amongst vineyards, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
We visit a boutique wine cellar for a premium tasting of Nebbiolo and Barolo wines coming from different vineyards with contrasting soil facts.
Our guide is on hand for lunch suggestions in one of the villages of the Langhe hills of Piedmont. Then, an optional stroll in the countryside would be the chance to get a closer look to this beautiful countryside.
In the afternoon we meet another winemaker either set in Barolo or Barbaresco territory for a deeper understanding on the different shades that Nebbiolo grapes can get depending on the hillside where they are grown.
Dinner on your own.
Day 6 – Truffle Hunting and Cooking class in Alba
Meals included: breakfast and dinner
Day 6 of Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino Tour begins with a lecture on how to unearth truffles from the rich soil of Piedmont.
We meet a passionate truffle hunter and the friendly dog to learn the secrets of this wise and ancient activity.
Next stop is the elegant town of Alba with its medieval towers, the imposing Cathedral and the high streets for shopping.
Later, we step in a kitchen of a local host for a full hands-on cooking class followed by dinner. The class is focused on seasonal ingredients.
The cuisine of Piedmont features a rich array of starters, aka “antipasti”, paper-thin egg noodles called “tajarin”, succulent main courses slowly cooked in wine and tempting desserts.
Day 7 – Portofino and The Italian Riviera
Meals included: breakfast and light lunch
This morning we drive from the hills of Piedmont to the Liguria region. After crossing the Apennine mountains, the bright colors of the Mediterranean will unfold in front of our eyes.room
Late morning we arrive in the sea-side town of Camogli and we partake on a food crawl, tasting the most famous focaccia of Italy: the one stuffed with cheese and the one with caramelized onions, together with other specialties.
We continue to Santa Margherita Ligure, a popular beach resort with a long waterfront promenade.
In Portofino we take some pictures of the famous bay where luxury yachts are anchored and we burn off some calories by walking to the lighthouse. Some climbing of steps is required but paid off by spectacular views over peaceful olive orchards, blooms and the rocky coastline.
Relax in your sea-view room that you can call home for the next two nights. Our guide can recommend the best seafood restaurant in town.
Day 8 – A day trip to Cinque Terre
Meals included: breakfast and dinner
The last day of our small-group tour in northwest Italy is all about Cinque Terre.
Our guide will take care of all logistic details to visit these villages which can only be reached by train or boat, subject to sea conditions. We visit Monterosso and Vernazza and, time permitting, Manarola.
Let’s get an insider look at the National Park of Cinque Terre with its citrus orchards and terraced vineyards overlooking the Mediterranean.
Back to our hotel, we celebrate the end of this Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino Tour with a farewell dinner in a traditional restaurant.
Day 9 – Arrivederci to Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino Tour
Meals included: breakfast
The Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino Tour is almost over as your driver takes you back to Milan airport. Enjoy some extra glimpses of northwest Italy as we say goodbye until next time.
- Airfare to and from this destination is not included in the tour cost.
- Suggested arrival and departure airport: Milan Malpensa (MXP). As soon as you book your flights, please share with us your air information so that we can work on airport transfers (if included).
- Arrival day: no airport transfer is included upon arrival to Milan Malpensa which is located within a 60-minute taxi ride from the city center (about 110€ per car).
- We recommend flying to Milan the day before the tour begins, to avoid possible air disruptions. Our Milan pre-tour extension (see below) includes an airport transfer, one night in central Milan, and a guided city tour the following morning.
- Departure day: one group transfer from Santa Margherita Ligure to Milan Malpensa is included. Flights should not be booked before 1:00 pm. Please contact us if you’d like to add a transfer at a different time or a post-tour hotel room in Milan.
On-Tour Luggage Restrictions
In addition to airline luggage restrictions, please consider that:
- Due to our van/bus space limitations during the tour, we ask you to limit your checked luggage to one average-size suitcase per person, weighing around 50 pounds (23 kg) and with overall dimensions (length + width + height) not exceeding 62 inches (158 cm).
- Each guest can also bring one carry-on and a small, soft-sided bag or backpack for day-to-day travel. The space onboard our vans and minibusses, as well as the overhead rack and the space under the seat, is typically very limited, just enough for small bags and purses.
- Arrive in Milan the day before the tour begins and meet our driver in the arrival hall of the airport.
- Transfer on a private van to the city center of Milan.
- Check-in (from 2 pm) in a centrally-located 4-star hotel, within a walking distance from all major attractions.
- Dinner on your own.
- The following morning (day 1), meet our Milan’s local expert in the lobby of the hotel
- Private walking tour of the city center, exploring some of the highlights as well as other hidden gems. Enter the majestic Cathedral of Milan with a reserved entrance for a guided tour of the interior.
- Enjoy some free time before meeting with the rest of the group at 2 pm
Rates for the Milan extension are available on request.
To save your spot, complete the form at the bottom of this page with any questions you may have. When you are ready to commit, you will receive via email the contract that you need to fill out with your information and sign electronically.
- The tour is confirmed with at least 6 participants
- A 30% down payment is required in order to confirm the reservation.
- The remaining balance is due 45 days before the tour.
- There shall be a 250€ non-refundable processing fee (per person) on any cancellation request, regardless of the time frame within which the cancellation is submitted;
- From 90 days to 46 days before the performance of the Tourist Package, by paying a penalty equal to 30% of the price;
- From 45 days before the performance of the Tourist Package, by paying a penalty equal to 100% of the price
Read here the full terms and conditions.
Meet Piemonte Tour Operator partners with Global Rescue to offer the world’s leading travel protection services. Medical and security emergencies happen. When they do, we rely on Global Rescue to provide our clients with medical, security, travel risk and crisis response services. Without a membership, an emergency evacuation could cost over $100,000. More than one million members trust Global Rescue to get them home safely when the unexpected happens. We highly recommend our clients enroll with Global Rescue.
The rate includes:
- 3 nights on lake Como (hotel La Darsena or similar), breakfast and porterage included
- 3 nights in the wine region of Piedmont (Villa del Borgo or similar hotel), breakfast and porterage included
- 2 nights on the Italian Riviera (Hotel Continental or similar), breakfast and porterage included
- private luxury minivan throughout the tour (as per itinerary above), with permits and parking included
- tour guide for 9 days (fully-escorted tour and 24h assistance while on tour)
- rooftop aperitif in Milan on day 1
- guided tour of Villa Balbianello on lake Como
- one-day private boat on the lake
- 2 dinners on lake Como
- cheese tasting with the cheese refiner (light lunch)
- 1 Michelin-star dinner
- 2 boutique Barolo wineries tour and tasting of 4-5 wines in each one
- truffle hunting with the dog
- cooking class and dinner with wine included
- focaccia tasting (light lunch)
- day trip to Cinque Terre by train
- Farewell dinner with wine included
- VAT 22%
- Tour Operator limited liability insurance
- Assistance throughout the planning process and travel tips
The rate does not include:
- Hotel City Tax (between 3 to 5€ per person per night)
- Truffles at meals
- Wine at the Michelin-star dinner
- Personal travel insurance
- Airfare to/from Italy
- Milan extension (airport transfer, 1 night in 4-star hotel, guided tour and Cathedral tickets)
- Any other meal, tasting, entrance fee, transfer, personal expense, tips and anything else not mentioned above in the field “The rate includes”. The wine included is the one presented during the meal or wine tasting and it is never unlimited. Any extra is at each guest’s discretion.
- To enjoy this tour, you should be in good health and able to walk reasonable distances. This is not a physically demanding tour, however, there will be a lot of walking, often on uneven steps, cobblestones, uphill and downhill. One of the charming aspects of Italy is its historical and architectural conformation. Many towns and attractions can only be visited on foot, as vans and buses cannot access the pedestrian areas where most places of interest are located.
- Unfortunately we cannot accommodate wheelchairs or motorized scooters. Our tour managers and tour guides are unable to provide ongoing individual assistance to guests with walking difficulties or other physical needs.
- While the driving time on our tours is limited, getting to remote farmhouses and villages may require driving on windy roads that may cause motion sickness.
- Due to the historic nature of many of the luxury boutique hotels where we stay, some rooms may include stairs and differ in size and layout.
A complete list of things to know about Italy, such as what to pack, money, electricity, health, tipping, VAT refund, and more, will be sent after the completion of the first down payment.
The combination of natural beauty, decadent atmospheres, cultural heritage, culinary excellence, and proximity to other remarkable regions makes Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino Tour, in Northwestern Italy truly special. Here’s why you should choose Meet Piemonte to guide you to this extraordinary destination:
Expert Knowledge: As the premiere luxury tour operator for Italy including Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino, we have an extensive understanding of the area’s culinary scene, history, art, and cultural heritage. Our vetted local experts will provide you with in-depth insights into each location we visit, enriching your Lake Como travel experience and allowing you to appreciate the region’s nuances and hidden treasures.
Safety: Traveling to the countryside of Piedmont, through the winding roads of the wine region and along the lakeshores of Northwestern Italy by yourself can be more challenging than expected. Safety and logistics can get complicated. You can put your mind at ease with one of our Lake Como vacation packages. Our local Italian tour guides will do everything they can to accommodate you in this new area and make you feel safe.
Seamless Logistics: We handle all the logistics of your vacation to Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino, allowing you to relax and fully immerse yourself in the experience. From arranging luxury accommodations in boutique hotels and private transportation, to coordinating activities and excursions, we take care of all the minute details so you don’t have to, ensuring a hassle-free and enjoyable vacation for all.
Local Connections: With a group size limited to only 12 guests, our luxury tour to Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino will introduce you to the warmth and hospitality of Italy’s locals. Whether it’s sharing conversations with a cheese refiner on the Monferrato hills or engaging with passionate winemakers during Barolo vineyard tours, you’ll have the opportunity to forge meaningful connections where large groups cannot go and gain a deeper understanding of Italian life.
Unparalleled Experiences: Northwestern Italy boasts a myriad of unforgettable things to do. From a private boat tour on Lake Como to truffle tours in Alba to indulging in mouthwatering culinary delights like focaccia and fine-dining experiences, we will guide you to the most remarkable and authentic encounters that Lake Como, Barolo, and Portofino have to offer.
Flexibility & Adaptability: Traveling is an ever-changing adventure, and unexpected situations may arise. On our luxury tour to Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino, we will be flexible and adaptable, ready to handle alterations or adjustments for even the most discerning travelers. With our flexible cancellation policy and partnership with Global Rescue, you can book ahead of time and enjoy your time in Italy, knowing that you’re covered up. Your safety, comfort, and satisfaction are our top priorities.
So, why vacation to Lake Como and Northwestern Italy with Meet Piemonte? Because together, we will unlock the wonders of this unique Italian region, immersing ourselves in its history, culture, and natural beauty. Our escorted tour to Lake Como, Piedmont & Portofino will leave you with cherished memories and a deep understanding of Northwestern Italy’s allure.